Thursday, March 26, 2009

It changes me

As we continue our installment of the why of short-term mission trips, we have come to how it changes me! As I have traveled around the world leading groups, never has one person ever left the same person. I am not sure what it is about a mission trip that does this, especially since each trip is so different but the result is always the same -- seeing God work outside of your norms and cultural boundaries grows your faith in Christ in whole new ways. I will never forget my first trip through a slum and thinking how can I EVER complain. I will never forget little boys abandoned on the street because their mom couldn't afford to feed them anymore. I will never forget being in churches that were dying in a culture progressively moving away from a belief in Jesus. I will never forget seeing missionaries become refreshed, physically and spiritually. Something happens as I work and serve, I commune with Jesus in a way that I don't. Suddenly, all of my distractions are stripped away, and the core of what is true and important in life are standing in front of me.

Going on a mission trip is not easy. You sacrifice. Time, money, comforts, but the change that is wrought in your heart will never change.

We still need people to join us on the Peru Mission Trip on August 28th-September 6th. You won't regret serving the abandoned boys in Peru. Contact Mikkee at mikkee@westendcc.org for more information.

1 comment:

Carma said...

My trip to Peru in 2007 changed me so profoundly - I'm still learning from it. Everything in my life and heart has changed and much of that can be traced back to that one mission experience. The time leading up to the trip, the actual trip, the relationships I made while in Peru with my team and the boys, and the perspective gained have formed me into a new person. Each year I wish I could go again but so far, God has lead me in other directions. I would encourage anyone on the fence to just take the leap. I guarantee you will never look back!