Thursday, March 5, 2009

Because Jesus Says So

"16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Matthew 28:16-20

As I begin this blog series, I am compelled to give you a few other thoughts...I have a love/hate relationship with short-term missions which might come as a surprise since, as a Missions Director, I plan and lead 3-4 short-term trips a year. Missions unequivocally changes lives - yours, mine, theirs - none are exempt. However, short-term trip, when executed well, are life-changing events, but they can also have damaging effects, a hurricane to a soul's house, and push people farther away from the Gospel. We have an obligation to plan, execute, and train ourselves well before we embark on any short-term trip.

As we look at the why of short-term trips, I want to first focus on the last words Jesus spoke to his disciples before he ascended into heaven. In verse 19 of Matthew 28, Jesus says, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations." This is a command, a statement, not a question or a plea.

When your life has been changed by a relationship with Jesus, the command has a different tone to it. I want to go - near and/or far - to share this amazing love that changes me. His love compels me out of my comfort zone. Looking back at verse 19, you see how Jesus' command leaves us room for creativity in the makeing of disciples. Each short-term trip can and should look so differently, based on the make-up of each team. The ways to share about Jesus are unbounded, music, arts, construction, etc. How do you feel called?