Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Next Door

Each month, Hope For Nashville highlights one of our 9 ministries. So, as we go through the month of March, you will be seeing a lot about The Next Door. They are the newest Hope For Nashville partner, and their mission is to serve women coming out of crisis situations, most often incarceration. To hear the story of how this ministry was born gives me chills every time I hear it! A group of women began praying about the use of building downtown, and through a course of events, research and a lot of praying, the Next Door was born. I cannot think of anything more amazing than to see God birth a ministry through the prayers of His people. The Next Door has been honored by the White House through the Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

About 5 months ago, I had the opportunity to begin volunteering at The Next Door. I was going to be a prayer partner to one of the women in their program. I was both excited and scared as I went to meet my prayer partner. My prayer partner is going to graduate in a month, and the past 6 months of getting to know her has blessed my life so much.

It was not easy, my life seems to be in a perpetual fast forward, but I have learned. I have learned more about boundaries, and what it really means to love someone. I have given. I have given of myself, and I have learned how to give more of my talents and time and resources to God. I have received. I have received far more than I gave. I have received the joy of a friendship and the blessing of simply being there.

Perhaps that is the most profound lesson that I have learned, I didn't feel like I had much to offer or give this woman, but what really mattered was to simply be there. To be there to listen, to hear the struggles and frustrations. To be there to encourage and to challenge. You can do this too. You can be a prayer partner or teach resume or job skills training, answer phones at their front desk. If you have limited time, you can be a prayer partner to a woman and simply just pray for them or you can send notes of encouragement.

If you are interested in volunteering with the Next Door, they will have a table set-up at WECC on March 15th in the lobby, or visit www.thenextdoor.org to learn more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Mikkee. So glad that you're sharing some of your personal experiences on here!!