Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Going as a family to Honduras

Before we left for Honduras, I had certain expectations, prayers and hopes for our time in Siguatepeque. There were the obvious prayer requests - safety, smooth travel, health, and opportunities to love and minister to the kids who would come to the soccer VBS and the medical clinic. God is good and he answered my prayers and was so real to me on this trip! What was it about this trip that made God seem so much more real than when I am living day to day in Nashville? God gave me the gift of this missions trip with the key word being mission! Going to Honduras removed all things that so easily distract me in Nashville and showed me a picture of what it is like to serve with a specific mission - to love those that God put in front of us.


God was so real on this trip! I watched him provide as we ministered loved and played with the kids that he brought to the soccer field each day. He provided the soccer equipment to outfit close to 90 children with shoes, socks, and shorts. He provided a beautiful soccer field at the doorstep of our hotel! He provided energy and enthusiasm to make each day special for the campers. He provided the words of love spoken at the end of each day to the campers to help them see who God really is!


We had the opportunity to preach the Gospel to the boys and girls at the end of each session. We used the Jesus Storybook Bible to share the Gospel. Most of the kids have only heard about God from a very legalistic perspective. We shared a simple message - God loves you, not for what you have done but because you are his creation! Speaking in front of groups has never been a favorite activity of mine. But again, God was real and there was not a moment that I felt nervous or inhibited by doubts of my ability to speak in front of large groups. God instilled a confidence that came from knowing that this was not about me, but it was about what God was doing through me. They were not my words the kids were hearing. They were the words of love from God inviting these kids to be his children! I was surprised how emotional I got at several different moments of the week in the midst of sharing the Gospel. I think that emotion came from have a much deeper understanding of what it means to be loved by God!


As a family, it was such a blessing to serve together! Aaron and I loved watching Katelyn take off on the soccer field with her new friends. She grew so much from the first day in terms of her patience and making the best of each situation. I had really prayed going into this trip that her world as she knew it would be turned upside down. I feel like God answered that prayer as I see her response to adversity and what she values now after going on this trip. I pray that it will stick! God thankfully did the same for me! Finally, I take away from the trip a greater urgency to better equip myself and my family to be ready to share the Gospel in the midst of the distractions of our daily lives.

The White Family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm also planning a family trip to Colorado through Marriott, will have great fun during it.